This Caribbean Chicken has island flavor with a slight kick served with sweet potato slices & topped with a fresh mango salsa. Black bean and pineapple rice make a great side dish. I adapted this recipe from Good Housekeeping so it is less spicy, simplified, and made in the Instant Pot instead of the Crockpot so it is done in a fraction of the time.
Instant Pot Caribbean Chicken
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & left whole
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeño
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 lbs chicken thighs, boneless
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- If serving with black beans and pineapple rice, prep those separately on the stove. I used white jasmine rice, black beans and pineapple chunks with their juice combined with a little water and cooked as if it were plain rice.
- Add chicken pieces to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Blend together juice, broth, 1/4 salt, garlic, jalapeño, olive oil, cumin, thyme and pour over the chicken.
- Top chicken with rack and place whole peeled sweet potatoes on top. Place & set lid to sealing, Pressure Cook function for 10 minutes. Let pressure Natural Release 10 minutes.
- About 5 minutes prior to serving, gently toss mango, avocado, lime juice and salt to taste.
- Once pressure is released, carefully remove sweet potatoes with a large serving spoon to a cutting board to slice. Serve chicken & sliced sweet potatoes topped with mango salsa, and beans & rice. If desired, drizzle some cooking juices over the rice.
Don’t forget to sign up for Dinner of Herbs newsletter and receive a free printable Weekly Meal Sheet complete with Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 7 days of the week and room for your personal notes.
Sign up here: Dinner of Herbs Newsletter
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you make a purchase through my links I will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!