Lasagna is one of my favorite meals! Although it does take some work. Especially if you add the extra steps of making the Lasagna noodles and Breadsticks from scratch, but it is definitely worth the effort in my opinion!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see disclosure for details
I’ve posted about these Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks before. They are so good & easy. They are definitely my go-to for garlic bread/breadsticks. I’ve made this Lasagna recipe many, many times and it always turns out great. I always get raves about it. Last night I stepped it up and made Homemade Lasagna Noodles for the first time. I used Einkorn All-Purpose flour for the noodles. However, I didn’t realize from the noodle recipe itself that once she boils for 30 seconds, she then cooks some of her lasagna recipes for 20 minutes covered and then another 15-20 minutes uncovered. My regular recipe with dry noodles cooks uncovered for only 35 minutes. It was still very good but next time it will be fantastic since I learned how to do it right! I’m definitely into making my own lasagna noodles now. Feel free to just buy the dry noodles and breadsticks if you’re pressed for time. If you want to make it all fresh, prepare breadsticks first to allow for rising time, then prep noodles, and finally prep for your lasagna. Once you pull the lasagna out of the oven, bake your breadsticks while the lasagna stands, as it should before serving.
Homemade Italian Sausage Lasagna
1 lb Mild Italian Pork Sausage, casings removed
1 medium chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8 oz tomato sauce
1 Tbl Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 lasagna noodle sheets (recipe link above) or 6 dried lasagna noodles
1 egg, beaten
15 oz ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded Mozzarella cheese
1) For sauce, in a large saucepan cook sausage, onion and garlic. Drain fat. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian Seasoning, and black pepper. Bring to boil, turn down heat & simmer 20 minutes.
2) Prepare lasagna noodles by above recipe or by your box instructions.
3) For filling, in medium bowl beat egg, add ricotta & Parmesan cheeses and combine.
4) Spread about 3/4 cup meat mixture in the bottom of 2 Qt baking dish. Add half of noodles, then half of filling. Top with half of sauce and half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle additional Parmesan on top.
5) If making with fresh noodles, cover with foil. Put baking dish on top of baking sheet & bake in preheated oven at 375°. With fresh noodles bake for 20 minutes covered and then uncover and bake 20-30 minutes uncovered. If using dry boxed noodles bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Bake breadsticks (recipe link above) in the meantime.
Enjoy! How do you like your Lasagna?
And don’t forget to sign up for Dinner of Herbs newsletter and receive a free printable Weekly Meal Sheet complete with Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 7 days of the week and room for your personal notes.
Sign up here: Dinner of Herbs Newsletter
*Post contains affiliate link. I make a small commission if you make a purchase using one of my links. Thank you for your support!