One day in a hurry with no time for rising, yeast and having no patience, I wondered if I just whipped up some pancake batter, poured into my *bar pan (a nice Pampered Chef trick I learned!), baked, and cut into slices, if we could substitute that for sandwich bread in a pickle. So I tried it by adjusting the Buttermilk Pancake recipe & instructions in the Einkorn Recipes for Nature’s Original Wheat cookbook and it worked perfectly!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see disclosure for details.
This will work for your family in a pinch if you need only about 8 regular slices of bread plus a couple smaller slices for one meal. Obviously if you need more than that you’ll just need to make a regular loaf of bread or more, depending on your family size. For best results, I highly recommend sifting flour 2 times and weighing flour & milk with kitchen scale. Once baked, I also like to use the bottom portion of the bread that baked directly on the stone as the top part of my sandwich. These slices make great BLT’s, PB&J’s or even an Egg, Ham & Cheese as pictured above. The slices hold up very well and are soft, chewy and delicious! You can easily make this bread start to finish in about 30 minutes!
Speedy Sandwhich Bread Recipe
Recipe adapted from Einkorn by Carla Bartolucci
1 3/4 cups (210 g) all purpose einkorn flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups (360 g) raw milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted, plus more for greasing bar pan
1) Add lemon juice to raw milk for buttermilk substitute and let sit while getting eggs & melting butter. Grease bar pan generously with butter.
2) Preheat oven to 375. In an oven safe dish, put 2 tablespoons butter & melt in oven while preheating.
3) In batter bowl sift together the flour, baking powder & baking soda, twice.
4) Whisk together the eggs, milk & melted butter.
5) Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk until well combined.
6) Pour into greased bar pan or other large rimmed baking stone/sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes (check at 15) until a toothpick comes out clean.
7) Let cool in pan for a few minutes. Slice with a knife into squares to about the slice of loaf bread slices. You can get about 8 regular slices plus a couple leftover slices (great for toddlers!), unless you like large sliced bread.
Give this Speedy Samich Bread a try & let me know how it worked out for you! I’ll still be practicing making regular sandwich bread until perfect, but this will do in a pinch! If you really want pancakes you can add 1-2 tablespoons of your choice of sweetener to the flour mixture if desired, bake for the same amount of time, cut in slices and serve with maple syrup. Yum & easy!
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you make a purchase through my links I will make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Don’t forget to sign up for Dinner of Herbs newsletter and receive a free printable Weekly Meal Sheet complete with Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner for 7 days of the week and room for your personal notes.
Sign up here: Dinner of Herbs Newsletter